Sunday, September 19, 2010

the invisible backpack

"Whites are taught to think of their lives as morally neutral, formative and average, and also ideal, so that when we work to benefit others, this is seen as work which will allow 'them' to be more like 'us.'"

reflecting

              this quote hit home for me. it brings me back to the question of weather or not giana were ahead of the game. we both agreed that we dont see the difference between races. i, personally, like to believe that we are ahead, but this suggests that because we cannot recognize or chose not to is part of our invisible backpack.
             as she goes on and discribes the privallges it becomes more clear that this invisible backpack is real. i always thought because i was maybe more mature or thoughtful that i felt more comfortable voicing myself, or even giving a voice to those who cant. after reading this article i've come to realize that this may be because of what is consider my neutrality i'm unsure i agree with this but it makes me really think about the way i go about my life. going on for however many years believing i was always doing the "right" thing, but maybe the problem. not recognizing it, or facing the problem.
            now to face my problem? but if i feel like i'm trying to help the problem or fix it, then is there a problem? and as i've already discussed in class, i'm not sure it should be considered a "problem". while reflecting on the article i've just come to realize, i have so many more questions about myself and who i am.  i really enjoyed this reading, questioning myself just helps me become more sure of who i am, too bad i dont know the answers yet.

Amy

song of the moment: where is the love

2 comments: